South Polar Skua study. The first faint attempt at a controlled composition which involved precise measurements is visible in the scribbled section. Ultimately that approach failed. More energetic, free-from constraints style was necessary. This loose drawing changed my thinking entirely, and the final portrait (when I get to it) will be better as a result. There is still a long road ahead if I am to capture this monster. In other words, “One does not simply walk into Mordor…”
Common Green Darner portrait is done, I think. This male, with his wings-in-motion was a new challenge for me… Hopefully, it looks like they’re moving. If not, please be kind.
A little bit more progress on the Common Green Darner. Mostly this step involves firming up important color breaks and sharpening the heavy dark lines.
Common Green Darner with more definition on the black abdominal pattern and a few base colors added. Hardest work still ahead.
I should really be working on a South Polar Skua portrait, but I started this a couple of days ago and I want to continue with it before the energy is gone. It will be the first Dragonfly portrait I’ve done of one in flight. Should be a technical challenge…
Semipalmated Sandpiper. I may make some small adjustments later, but going to leave it alone for a while. I think most features are visible here—the very white face and belly, the lack of rufous or golden tones, the short/blunt bill, and it’s preference for deeper water.
While watching “The West Wing” on Netflix, I decided to start a Semipalmated Sandpiper portrait. This, I hope, resembles a first fall juvenile… but we shall see as it develops and a little color is added. Look back to a year ago, and see if my understanding of proportions has improved…