Rock Sandpiper (mixed media initial)

Image

It’s time for me to start something new… I’m using water-soluble colored pencils, which are sort of half way between colored pencils and true watercolors. It should be a nice exercise. It’s frightening, of course! I don’t have proper watercolor paper, so when it buckled because of the moisture, I ended up using an iron to flatten it. I’m not even in possession of the proper assortment of colors… Anyway, enough excuses. Here’s an in-progress scan of the Rock Sandpiper we saw yesterday at Bodega Head. The colors need to be “cooled” and much shading needs to be added. At this point, I’m not sure how much of the remaining work will be done with water-solubles and how much with conventional colored pencils. Stay tuned…

Townsend’s Warbler (complete)

Image

The Townsend’s Warbler is done for now. I used some warmer tones in the yellow, and especially in the peculiar gold-green of the back. I also experimented with workable matte spray fixative, which allowed me to add some white pencil to the back, throat and crown. All that’s missing is the Brussels Sprouts salad we saw it feasting on…

Townsend’s Warbler (a little progress on back color, smoothing)

Image

A little more progress on the Townsend’s Warbler. Mostly I took a stab at the back color and texture. I realize it’s flat, needing more dimension and shading, but the base color is getting there. I used the colorless blender to smooth out a few rough edges, and refined the bill/face. I’m looking forward to continuing tomorrow after work.